Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday

Im still sick, and I had the 8 hour training from hell today, so Im using both as an excuse to write a piss poor blog entry.

A couple of small recaps before the main entree'.

#1. My new school rules were ratified successfully.
#2. The City of Boulder "Im an Ally" campaign is well underway, with some good fire under its feet. But its a big project, with several lofty goals that will require a good chunk of my time. But Im really excited about my teammates I have with me, and I think we can really pull this off..... by May.

Ok, main entree.

Just saw Waiting for Superman, and heres my quick blow-by-blow of what I was thinking as the movie rolled past me.

I need to find a good public school for my kids.
Im glad I went to good schools.
Oh wait, I went to a private school.
I need to find a good private school for my kids, but only for elementary school. They will be fine after that.
Oh wait, no they wont.
Ok, I need to find a good private school for my kids up through middle school. I really liked being at a public high school, and my kids should get to enjoy the same experiences I had. As long as they work hard, and have the solid background from their private school, they will be fine.
Oh wait, no they wont.
Ok. Private school all the way through to college.
I REALLY better start saving now. And planning to live where the best schools are. But that shouldnt be too hard to find.
Wait, what? Even our nation's top 5% of educated kids are only ranked 23rd in the world out of 29?
And I certainly wasnt in the top 5%..... Did I get a good education? Can I even hope to make 6 figures ever?
Wait, what about tech jobs that went unfilled? And filled by who? Oh, I knew that. But still, that sucks.
But I cant move to another country just to educate my kids. There are some parts of this culture I want them to grow up with.
Why cant there be a good section of this country that has really great schools?
Charter schools? Lottery? The only hope?
Wait, are you going to make me sit here as I watch all these kids dreams be crushed instantaneously?
I guess its all either luck or hopelessness, isnt it? Thats just awful.

Just awful.

No comments:

Post a Comment