Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Notables 10/5/10

We'll start with yesterday since yesterday didnt quite go as planned.

Monday -

Woke up at 9am. Was supposed to be picking up the carpool 20 minutes from my house at 9am. Fail. Called the carpool. One of them didnt need a ride, the other was in the same boat I was in - just waking up.  Good start to a Monday morning.

Started keeping track of the point sheets for the class, which helped us as a team stay on top of behavior in the class. (Note: Points are given or taken away based on behavior at Justice High.) Overall, it was a good day, and a lot of our students were doing really well.  The same proved true for the Denver school (I generally visit two different schools in the same day) which was really good. So good day overall.

Picked my Dad up from the hospital since he couldnt drive after anesthesia. He had some sort of 5 year checkup done, the likes of which I wont share...... but you may be able to guess if you know my Dad..... or not.

Got home and was wiped, so I scrapped the workout for the day. Dinner, then got back to Heavy Rain. Played for 2 hours, then PASSED OUT while playing, something I dont think has ever happened to me. But then again, Ive never had a setup that allowed me to play in bed, under the covers so comfortably. Woke up at 10pm, turned it all off, watched some American Dad (my new before bed TV show), and was out again by 11.

Strange dreams though....... Was driving the carpool, but the new SNL cast got in....... along with some theater kids from my high school. And I was always running from something.....

Tuesday

Woke up like I didnt just get 8.5 hours of sleep, which is a sucky feeling. ESPECIALLY when you do the time and GET over 8 hours of sleep. Oh well. Its prolly cuz I didnt eat a whole lot on Monday, skipping Breakfast and all to make up for lost time. AND I didnt eat a 4th meal, another often occurrence for me.

Got to school a little late, but it was ok. Immediately dealt with my favorite students...... you know, the ones with the most personality and character to them.  Its a love/**** relationship. Their the most argumentative about doing their work, but they also have the best and funniest ways of trying to avoid the conversation about work altogether. I could learn a thing or two about quick wit from these students.....

Grabbed lunch and drove to Denver. But there was a huge traffic jam, so (GASP!) I ate it IN MY CAR on the way there. Which was ok, cuz I actaully finished my Subway before the jam was over.

My partner in crime wasnt there today, leaving me with the class by myself. I thought I could handle it, since most of my favorite students werent there. But I miscalculated...... and it turned out ok, but it was a little rough around the edges.  Oh well. The important thing is that Im following through with what I say. If I say last chance, I have to mean it and act on it if they are disruptive again. And thats what they are learning. Slowly, but surely. I have a lot of lost ground to cover, and I may not be able to regain it all.

Got home, caught up on the sudden flurge on emails asking me to volunteer for this or that, now that Im an official Boulder PRIDE volunteer, which is exciting to start doing LGBTQ work again. Had a good workout, but hit a bonk moment when my body wouldnt go any further. Its cuz I hadnt eaten well yesterday, which sucks cuz thats my fault. Oh well. I ate really well today (Go manwich!) so hopefully tomorrows workout will be better.

Dinner, talked about kids with my mom (I feel kinda bad for my Dad. Almost every night at dinner, my Mom and talk shop for an hour, and he cant get a word in). Then read an AMAZING article that Amber sent me, an old supervisor of mine. Its about breaking out of the system and doing what you love because you want to and you actually love it. Not because it was the easiest path, earned the most respect or the most money. It really resonated with me, because I feel myself going down that path. It doesnt mean I dont love student affairs and residence life, because I do. But what it means is that this path IS the easiest for me, and Im not exactly paddling upstream or anything to try to change that.

But my year off is still just a child, not even to puberty yet. I still have time to make sure this is what I want to do, and more importantly, that there isnt anything else im denying myself the choice of.

I caught up on House and Glee, and finished Heavy Rain so I can return it to the store tomorrow. After that, the NEW adventure begins. No more video games til after the GRE. REALLY. Its hardcore studying for me. So expect my afternoons to become Exercise and GRE prep. Really really.

Ok, off to bed to catch up on Nip Tuck - Im almost done! Just started 6th season..... so close.......

No comments:

Post a Comment